Summer Dressmaking Workshop
Thursday 13th July
10am to 3.30pm (with break for lunch)
Learn how to sew a summer dress/long summer top using your own sewing machine – a perfect addition to your summer wardrobe. Patterns will be provided that you can keep to make more creations at home. (Suitable for sizes 6-24).
What you will learn:
- Measuring yourself and choosing the correct pattern size
- Understanding a sewing pattern
- Cutting out your pattern and fabric accurately
- Sewing darts
- Adding in seam pockets
- Adding a facing
- Using interfacing
We will be using a Tilly and The Buttons pattern for ‘Indigo Smock Top + Dress’ – View details
This is an intimate workshop with a very small group to give you full support throughout the session. You will also learn how to make the most of your sewing machine. Please note we won’t have time to do the exposed frill seam option in this class, but you’ll have the pattern and full instructions to use for another version.
What you’ll need
- Please bring along your own sewing machine, fabric and thread.
- Choose 2.5m of 150cm wide, or 3m of 115cm wide light to medium-weight drapey fabric. We would suggest cotton lawn or chambray, especially if this is your first dressmaking project. If you have sewn a couple of dressmaking projects before you could use a viscose or crepe with more drape.
What experience do you need
The class is not for complete beginners. Depending on your level of sewing experience, you may not entirely complete your top/dress in the one-day workshop. However you will be given lots of useful tips and help to ensure you are comfortable completing your project at home.
Meet The Tutor
Sarah-Jane Whitfield loves to share the joy of sewing. Having trained at the London College of Fashion/Centre for Fashion Studies she brings over 30 years of experience. Her focus is for people to have fun, relax and learn how to make beautiful unique pieces for their wardrobe.
*A £1.50 booking fee applies per ticket when booking online and in person. The booking fee covers costs charged to the charity for the booking system and payment processing.